Peal Boards

The first Society tower-bell peal (in the tower) was rung in 1904 and some time later it was felt that details should be recorded within the room. A large four-panel peal board (right) was commissioned and paid for by the then Provost of the Cathedral, Dr John S Wilson and presented to the Society in 1912 and the peal recorded on the first panel. The next three Society tower-bell peals rung in the tower, in 1952, 1953 and 1974 filled the remaining panels and since then details of Society peals and peals of special significance appeared on separate boards. Of note are the SACR peal marking the 75th Anniversary of the formation of the Association at St Mary’s in 1932, a long length of 5500 changes rung in 4 hours and the first peal on 12 bells in Scotland (above).